For the NonFiction Photo (NFP) team, we are looking for a communications officer who will support us in making this year’s World Press Photo exhibition in Groningen a success. We want to offer young talent the opportunity to gain experience in a dynamic position in an inspiring and enthusiastic team.
The exhibition takes place in November and December 2021. There is a lot of preparatory work to be done in the preceding months. You will work on the project for about six months and can start between May and July (the ‘extra’ months are then vacation, so if you start in May you can take time off in July and August). If you want to start earlier, content campaigns can be created in the spring.
It is a work experience position with a modest monthly volunteer allowance, a lot of personal input, a close-knit team and ample opportunity to gain knowledge. Language no problem.
As a communications officer you are part of the marketing team. Together with the head of marketing, the publicity officer and the graphic designer you are responsible for making NFP, its people and its activities visible. The content for external communication is generated by the communication officer, with the help of the Talent team journalism (text), photography and video (image).
Depending on your own interests and talents, the function can also be supplemented with content campaigns such as videos, vlogs, photos, blogs, competitions and so on. A little more in the direction of marketing research is also possible.
- Actively thinking along and setting out the lines of communication and strategy to put the organisation in the spotlight
- Participate in the development of the communication planning
- Reporting on the communication strategy and analysing the results
- Maintaining the website (also in English translation)
- Maintaining the various bilingual social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube en Vimeo), partly as a content creator
- Optimizing social media reach
- Supporting the Talent team Photography and Journalism by maintaining the photo archive and supervising the delivery of image and text material
- Part of the location management team during the exhibition period in November and December
- Option: marketing research
- Option: creating (audio) visual content campaigns
- Option: translating handouts for international volunteers (English)
- Option: giving workshops communication to the Jonge Makers
Skills and qualities
- Enthusiastic about the vision and goals of NonFiction Photo
- A practical attitude and ability to work independently
- Being a team player
- Affinity and experience with photography and video for social media
- You are aware of and have experience with social media trends and strategies
- You can write creatively from a brand identity
- You have creative and communicative skills, both orally and in writing, in both Dutch and English
- No 9-5 mentality (during the exhibition)
- You are familiar with the cultural landscape in Groningen city and the relevant online platforms
- Knowledge of marketing and PR strategy
- Knowledge of Wordpres, Excel, Google Drive, Trello and Mailchimp are an advantage
- Experience with paid promotion via social media is an advantage
What is interesting about this volunteer work?
What do you get from working experience at NFP? You work independently as well as in a team. The team meets monthly for consultation and socializing and rounds off the period with a thank you dinner. Thanks to the short lines of communication there is a lot of room for own initiative and creativity. Further benefits:
- Enthusiastic and dynamic organization that has an eye for its volunteers
- The opportunity to be part of an ideological initiative and a fun volunteer team
- The opportunity to develop yourself and gain relevant work experience
- The opportunity to meet (well-known) photographers and to network with partner organizations and photographers
- The opportunity to participate in the Education Volunteer Training Program to provide guided tours of the exhibition
- The possibility to participate in the workshops of the Talent programs
- A look behind the scenes at a major event
- Free access to all NFP events, including the VIP opening, and the Academy program with tours and lectures
- A volunteer allowance of € 170 per month
- A letter of recommendation on behalf of the NFP foundation (upon completion of the training program)
- An invitation to the thank-you drink for volunteers and the team dinner in June
From May, June or July (optionally earlier) to December you will work approximately 2 days a week – depending on how fast you work. You mainly work in your own time with set deadlines. You will partly work in the Biotoop van Haren, where we have office space. In consultation it is also possible to work at home and, if desired, evenings and weekends.
In the start-up phase you are working on your training for about 2 days a week. From September to December you will be working on the communication and marketing plan and the necessary meetings about 3 days a week. You help during the festival as a location manager. You are present during the construction and dismantling of the festival. You are present at most Academy events. You are present at any promotional events.
Interested? Send your CV and motivation to Andrea Hooymans (director of NFP) via firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are still unsure, if you have any questions or if you want to adapt this position to your internship conditions, please do not hesitate to contact us because we are happy to think along with you.
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.